DNA & RNA Lesson Plans
DNA and RNA Proteins synthesis lesson plans designed for high school, middle school, and elementary school science teachers are downloadable here. Lesson Plans Inc. offers many great science lessons. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category. Free DNA and RNA lesson plans include:
DNA and RNA Structure Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids - DNA, RNA.
- Shape - double helix, 5’ OH group and 3’ phosphate group.
- DNA Nucleotide - deoxyribose sugar, phosphate group, dna nitrogen base, hydrogen bonds.
- DNA Nitrogen Bases - adenine, thiamine, guanine, cytosine, purines, pyrimidines.
- RNA Nucleotide - ribose sugar, phosphate group, rna nitrogen bases.
- RNA Nitrogen Bases - adenine, uracil, guanine, cytosine.
- Semi-Conservative Replication - complementarity, leading strand, lagging strand, Okazaki fragments, replication fork, 5’ to 3’.
- DNA Replication Enzymes - DNA helicase, DNA polymerase, RNA primer, DNA ligase.
Protein Synthesis Lesson Plans
- Central Dogma - gene expression follows a specific order.
- Transcription - RNA polymerase, initiation, elongation, termination, promoter regions, introns, exons, codons, mRNA, transcribe template strand.
- Translation - ribosome (rRNA and protein), anticodons, tRNA, initiation, elongation, termination, A-site, P-site, amino acids, polypeptide chain, start codon, stop codon.
Biotechnology Lesson Plans
- Recombinant DNA - plasmids, bacterial DNA, cloning vector, restriction enzymes, screening, gene cloning, DNA ligase, electroporation, bacterial culture growth.
- PCR - polymerase chain reactions, synthetic oligonucleotide primers, pcr amplification, in vitro, heating, cooling, DNA polymerase, reheating.
- GEL Electrophoresis - restriction enzymes, polar DNA, DNA fragments, DNA ladder, agarose gel, lane, band.
- Southern Blot - DNA fragments, gel electrophoresis, probe.
- Northern Blot - identify RNA fragments.
- Western Blot - identify proteins.
- Transgenic Bacteria - foreign DNA, insulin, growth hormone, clotting factors.
- Transgenic Animals - growth hormone genes, resistance to bacterial infections, proteins.
- Transgenic Plants - 52% soy and 25% corn are transgenic in US, genetically modified food, natural insecticdes, resist chemicals.
- Gene Cloning - Dolly, fuse mammary cells with egg cells without DNA, electric shock, in vitro, implanted into surrogate mother, gentically identical sheep.
- Human Genome Project - human nucleotide sequence, map genes on chromosomes.
Mutations Lesson Plans
- Gene Mutations - point mutations, base-pair substitution, silent mutations, transition mutation, transversion mutations, missense mutations, nonsense mutations, frameshift mutations, insertion, deletion, revertant.
- Chromosomal Mutations - deletion, duplication, inversion, translocation.
- Genetic Disorders - nondisjunction, down syndrome or trisomy 21, trisomy X or XXX syndrome, Klinefelter’s syndrome or XXY, Edwards Syndrome or trisomy 13.
Gene Regulation Lesson Plans
- Prokaryotes - operon, promoter, operator, repressor protein, lac operon.
- Negative Gene Regulation - repressible operons, corepressors, inducible operons, inducer.
- Positive Gene Regulation - activator, allosteric site.
- Eukaryotes - modify chromatin, control elements, steroid hormones, regulatory proteins, TATA box, gene dosage, gene amplification.