Ecology Lesson Plans
Ecology lesson plans designed for high school, middle school, and elementary school science teachers are downloadable here. Click the titles below to see a list of lessons for each category. Free biological evolution lesson plans include:
Environmental Science Lesson Plans
- Acid Rain - air pollution, sulfuric acid.
- Global Warming - greenhouse gases, greenhouse effect.
- Ozone Layer - CFC chlorofluorocarbons, O3, ultra violent radiation.
- Loss of Biodiversity - deforestation, extinction of species.
- Toxic Magnification - accumulation of toxins in higher trophic levels.
- Resource Depletion - topsoil erosion, ground water pollution and depletion, non-renewable resources, rate of renewable resources.
- Human Population Growth - growth rate, ecological footprint.
Population Ecology Lesson Plans
- Populations - size, density, dispersion.
- Population Growth Model - exponential growth, carrying capacity, density-dependent factors, logistic growth, density-independent factors, r-strategists, K-strategists.
- Hardy-Weinberg Equalibrium - allele frequencies
Biological Communities Lesson Plans
- Ecosystem Biodiversity - biotic factors and abiotic factors.
- Competition - niche, limited resources.
- Predator and Prey Interactions
- Symbiosis - parasites, mutualism, commensalism, symbiotic relationship.
- Biological Communities - the different species living in a habitat.
- Biomes of the World - tundra biome, desert biome, marine biome, grassland biome, taiga biome, temperate grassland biomes, temperate deciduous forest biome, tropical rain forest biome, savanna biome, polar ice biome.
- What is an Ecosystem - biological community and physical environmental factors.
- Forest Ecosystems - rainforest ecosystem, tropical rainforest ecosystems, temperate rainforest ecosystems, tropical dry forests, deciduous forests, coniferous forests.
- Aquatic Ecosystems - freshwater ecosystems, ocean ecosystems, wetland ecosystem, marine ecosystems, pond ecosystems.
- Other Ecosystems - desert ecosystems, tundra ecosystem, grassland ecosystems, soil ecosystems.
Energy Flow Lesson Plans
- Food Chain - feed from lower trophic level.
- Food Web - multiple food chains.
- Energy Pyramid - energy transfer, 10%, energy efficiency, biomass.
- Trophic Levels - producers, consumers, herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, detritivores, decomposers.
Biogeochemical Cycles Lesson Plans
- Water Cycle - ground water, percolation, run off, transpiration, precipitation, evaporation, water vapor.
- Carbon Cycle - atmospheric CO2, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, combustion, death and decomposition, fossil fuels, erosion from marine organisms.
- Nitrogen Cycle - nitrogen fixation, nitrogen fixing bacteria, assimilation, ammonification, nitrification, nitrifying bacteria, denitrification, denitrifying bacteria, atmospheric N2, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites.
- Phosphorous Cycle